Civil Engineering Intern
CIVIL ENGINEERING INTERN
ENGINEER INTERN POSITION SUMMARY: Plans, designs, and directs engineering projects such as streets, roads, residential and commercial developments, institutional facilities, industrial facilities, drainage projects, and assists project managers by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES includes but not limited to the following:
- Analyzes reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, tests, and aerial photographs on soil composition, terrain, hydrological characteristics, and other topographic and geologic data to plan and design projects;
- Calculates cost, determines feasibility of project based on analysis of collected data, and prepares detailed cost estimates;
- Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to create engineering and design documents;
- Prepares and modifies reports, specifications, plans, cost estimates, construction schedules, legal documentation, easements, and designs for project;
- Meets with client periodically to coordinate changes, inform client of additional requirements, receive input from the client, answer client questions, and resolve issues;
- Coordinates with government officials to obtain required approval and permits for assigned projects;
- Coordinates project activity with appropriate officials, support staff, contractors, subcontractors, labs, and other entities;
- Tracks project progress and prepares reports of activity in accordance with client needs;
- Research codes, regulations, products, and design techniques to provide answers to client needs;
- Keeps abreast of changing techniques, materials, codes, regulations and software through attendance at seminars, briefings and other forums.
REQUIREMENTS COMPETENCIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Detail oriented
- Planning, organizing, and coordinating
- Excellent communications skills – listening, understanding, and responding
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Innovative thinking
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree (BS) from an accredited Engineering school in a four-year college or university. Would prefer some work experience as an Engineer Intern but would be willing to consider a new graduate of an accredited program as well.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Must be a licensed or eligible to be licensed as an Engineer Intern (EI) and be working toward license as a Professional Engineer, (PE).
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- CAD software: 1 year (Preferred)
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible